MISSION OF THE YEAR
The Backpack Ministry is an ongoing mission opportunity. With the guidance of the Food Bank of N. Alabama, FPC is the sole provider of weekend food kits to disadvantaged children at The Academy of Academics and Arts (AAA). Kits are taken weekly and discreetly provided to 30 need-identified children on Friday afternoons.
Please remember that there is an ongoing need for supplies, and we hope that this much-needed service in our own community will continue to be an ongoing priority in your mission planning. The list of supplies for the kits can be found on the bulletin board.
If you have questions, contact Karen Madison at email@example.com.
At First Presbyterian Church of Huntsville from our deep gratitude for God’s grace we are called to serve God in this time and place. We are a community that builds people up to send them out to be the hands and feet of Christ.
We offer many opportunities for the adults, youth, and children of our church to make a difference in our community and in the world through mission work. Here is a list of some of our mission partners:
- AIR Guatemala– AIR Guatemala is a nonprofit improving human and environmental health in Guatemala. FPC donates annually to this mission.
- Camp Maranatha– Camp Maranatha was created as a ministry to serve the greater church and provide an affordable camp facility for youth and families in the region to allow them to connect with God in his creation. FPC makes an annual monetary donation and provides volunteers to work on various maintenance projects.
- Churches United for the People (CUP) Huntsville– CUP provides temporary assistance to needy clients in Madison County with payments of delinquent utility bills.
- Community Free Clinic– FPC collects empty prescription bottles for the Community Free Clinic. These are delivered whenever the bin is filled.
Fellowship Presbyterian Church Food Distribution Program– Fellowship ministers to families in need by organizing, collecting, and distributing at least 250 food boxes each month. In addition to making an annual monetary donation, FPC has supported the ministry with food drives.
Habitat for Humanity– Habitat for Humanity of Madison County is an ecumenical, grassroots, Christian housing ministry that seeks to eliminate poverty housing from the community. FPC supports this ministry with an annual donation and has a team of workers ready to work when called upon.
- Huntsville Hospital Foundation– During the recent surge in COVID-19 hospitalizations, Huntsville Hospital Foundation sent out a request for donations for hospital workers to help boost morale and to show them that the community appreciates all of the extra work they have been doing. The Mission and Evangelism committee has provided gift cards and thank you notes written by several of our church members.
- Huntsville Inner City Learning Center– The Huntsville Inner City Learning Center provides children in grades K – 8 with a highly structured, disciplined program that provides mentoring and tutoring in academics, fitness/enrichment, biblical knowledge, and gardening. FPC supports this ministry through monetary donations, school supply drives, and providing volunteer tutors.
- International Missionary Fellowship (IMF)– IMF serves the people of the northwest region of Haiti and supports the Hospital Evangelic Bombardopolis. FPC donates a great deal of money to this mission, and we hope to be able to return to the hospital in the near future.
- Kairos Prison Ministry International, Inc.– Kairos is a lay-led, Christian ministry in which volunteers bring Christ’s love and forgiveness to prisoners and their families. FPC provides cookies and special placemats plus an annual monetary donation.
- Little Free Pantry– FPC and The Church of the Nativity keep a small public pantry stocked with food which is free for the taking. It is located on Eustis Ave between Greene St and Lincoln St.
- Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)– MAF helps transform lives by spreading the Gospel of Jesus Christ while transporting missionaries, national pastors, Bibles, supplies, medical help, and a host of other things to hard-to-reach areas. FPC sends money to sponsor the MAF ministry.
- Presbyterian Home for Children (PHFC)– PHFC is a ministry of the Presbyterian Churches of Alabama that provides a faith-based haven for children and their caregivers. FPC volunteers help with various maintenance projects at the home. Our youth group recently sponsored a church donation drive.
- Second Mile Preschool– We provide opportunities for members to volunteer directly by donating school supplies, reading to the children, providing breakfasts, and participating in various maintenance projects.
- Top of Alabama Regional Council of Government (TARCOG)– TARCOG’s primary responsibility is to plan and carry out a comprehensive, coordinated service delivery system to address needs of people over 60, and to help them maintain their independence. FPC assists in boosting their Christmas spirit by providing gifts. A Christmas tree in Fellowship Hall contains wish lists from individuals and members of the congregation fill them.
- The Vine Pastoral Counseling Center– FPC provides annual funding to support the cost of dozens of donated counseling sessions for couples and families.
- Village of Promise– Village of Promise provides programs and support systems that empower families as they strive to reach their goals, advance out of poverty, and give back to the Huntsville community.
FPC provides volunteers to prepare meals for participants in the various programs.
For more information about how to become involved in any of our mission opportunities please call (256) 536-3354.