We want all children to be so comfortable here at First Presbyterian Church that they think of this as their “home away from home.” Our goal is to make all children feel welcome and remind them that they are God’s most beloved creation.
Our regular Sunday School classes for children, as described below, are taking a break for the summer:
Kingdom Kids (Kindergarten-5th grade Sunday School)
- Children become familiar with the stories of our faith by exploring scripture in creative and engaging ways. In early grades young children engage bible stories with a worship focus. Students in the middle grades begin to compare the stories to what they know in their own life. In the later grades children develop bible skills and explore major themes that run throughout the Bible, seeing those connections between Old Testament, New Testament, and faith lived out today.
- 9:30-9:50 a.m. – Music Assembly
- 9:50-10:30 a.m. – Class Time
- K & 1st graders meet in Room 009 and follow an adaptation of the Godly Play curriculum, a Montessori method of storytelling with a worship focus. They gather back in the story circle at the end to read the story text from the Bible and have a feast. Kindergarten children received the Spark Story Bible to enjoy reading with their parents at home.
- 2nd & 3rd graders will meet in Room 010 and use the Holy Moly Classroom curriculum to experience stories using a four part sequence:
- Gather – Begin with a warm-up activity
- Open the Bible – Explore the day’s story
- Activate Faith – Get moving and become engaged in the story they just read by using student materials
- Send – Finish with a closing activity and prayer
- 4th & 5th graders meet in Room 012. Using the Connect curriculum and a special Connect Bible, they look up anchor texts and are pointed to other texts that explore a new theme each week. They tab and mark and doodle in their bibles as they explore connections to the theme and to their lives.