At First Presbyterian Church of Huntsville we believe faithful living encourages us to engage our hearts and minds.
We offer many opportunities for the adults of our church to come together to learn, grow, and worship together.
In our tradition, there are doctrines and ideas that we speak of often but often shy away from discussing thoroughly because of their difficulty. This class will have two goals: giving a brief overview of four of these topics and sharing fellowship during the Sunday school hour. Topics presented will be the doctrine of the Trinity, the doctrine of Predestination, the Book of Revelation, and the theory of condemnation. Come prepared to learn something, but not everything about these topics. Adults and youth welcome.
5:00 – 7:00 for children includes Bible Study, Worship Skills, and Dinner! Children will be exploring biblical practices – those things that Jesus did and tells us to do – for Bible Study this semester, learning with music in Worship Skills, and enjoying fellowship and silly games around the dinner table.
5:30 – 6:30 Class for adults on the Apostles’ Creed with Pastor Brett in the Library: We said the Apostle’s Creed every week for our Affirmation of Faith in the year 2020. These words became a part of us, maybe we memorized it long ago, or maybe last year was the first time it made its way into our memory. But, what the heck does the Apostle’s Creed actually mean? What is the main message coming out of it? What was the context in which it was written? What does it mean for our lives today? All these questions and more will be discussed in Pastor Brett’s WNL class. Join as we take a deeper dive into one of the most famous creeds. Hope to see you there!
- Charles Danner Seminar Class– Sundays from 9:30–10:30 a.m. via Zoom or in person in the Church Library. Join this group for a deeper dive into various topics including history, theology, and faith, as guided by a book to read and discuss. This class is reading and discussing the book Lies My Preacher Told Me by Brent A. Strawn.
- Comrades– Sundays from 9:30–10:30 a.m. in Room 106. The Comrades Class is a Bible study group organized by subject matter rather than by following a specific Bible book or section. The class places emphasis on basic Christian beliefs and how those beliefs should be translated into action in the lives of modern Americans. Contemporary issues are discussed in the context of Bible teachings.
- Genesis– Sundays from 9:30–10:30 a.m. in John Allen Hall at the Gideon Blackburn House. Join the Genesis Sunday School class as we take a look at Parables From the Backside. Minister and author Ellsworth Kalas presents new insight into twelve of Jesus’ parables by entering them through the eyes of a minor or unsympathetic character. By approaching the stories in this way, Kalas releases new meaning and clarifies basic teachings.
- Men’s Bible Study– Wednesdays from 7:00 – 8:00 a.m. in Fellowship Hall. Every Wednesday morning we gather in the Fellowship Hall to study Scripture, pray, and discuss whatever arbitrary thing comes to our minds. This is a great time to spiritually connect, grow, and have fun with a fantastic group. We also occasionally get lunch together!
- Presbyterian Women– 2nd Monday each month. Presbyterian Women welcomes women of all ages for praise, Bible study, and mission. Three Circles, with both morning and evening times, meet on the second Mondays, October through May. At those meetings this year, we will study “What My Grandmothers Taught Me: Learning from the Women in Matthew’s Genealogy of Jesus” by Merryl Blair.
- Thursday Prayer Group Zoom– Thursdays from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. on Zoom. This prayer team intentionally lifts up the prayers of this congregation and the world each week while also enjoying fellowship, scripture readings and devotions. This fall they are using the book Finding Calm in the Chaos by Kathleen Long Bostrom as the devotional guide.
Listen HERE to Bible lectures from Pastor Brett.